Welcome back for another edition of Sum It Up Sundays. What happened this week?
- Went to the museum with my girlfriend and learned a bit about the natural history, culture, and wildlife of our province. A special note about this visit, was that it made me feel a stronger sense of sorrow and compassion for our country’s aboriginal population. Being part aboriginal myself, I felt insecurity and resentment to that part of my heritage growing up to avoid bullying and prejudice in school. But since I met my girlfriend, she has been encouraging me to be more honest and open about that part of my heritage, which I have been progressively improving upon. After this museum visit, it made me sad to remember that a once proud and peaceful population was invaded and forced so far down the food chain. It’s no wonder why so many aboriginals are still suffering today. An immense amount of damage was done and little is happening to correct it. I would love to collaborate with someone or some group to use technology to assist in the healing process of these people. I don’t know how and I don’t know when, but I know that I would love to be a part of it.
- I got to hang out with some friend whom I haven’t seen in a while again. We got dim sum and watched a shitty cartoon Batman movie. It was nice seeing them and finding out what they got going on in their lives. When I see them, I feel like I can sense that something big is missing that they may not be actively aware of. For example, my one friend like to travel and learn things, but he is missing a real sense of direction, thus spreading himself out across too many different fields of interest, limiting his potential to really exceed in one or more of those things. I’m hesitant to bring this up for a few reasons… One being that I’m not sure I’m a living example of someone he would want to really listen to, another being that my analysis could be totally incorrect, and lastly, it’s his life and he should be allowed to live however he wants to. There’s a happy medium somewhere that I’ll find soon enough I hope.
- I drove down from Edmonton with my friend this week and we decided that we would meet up within the next few days to come up with some innovative ideas by drawing a ton of Venn diagrams, trying to find overlaps of interests, hobbies, professions, etc where we could potentially introduce a product or service or an app that people would be interested in. I’m excited to see what we can come up with.
- I’m about an hour and half into the Four Hour Work Week audio book by Tim Ferris. I’m really liking it so far, but there are a few exercise components that I have to start writing down so that I get the most out of the whole experience by developing a track for focused practice. I’m really hopeful for the impact that this book will have on my motivation and business goals.
- I released a new podcast episode that features an interview I did with my friend Shawn. You can listen to that episode HERE!
- I made a new episode of DJAK On Deck this weekend as well. I finally got my mic levels in check so my voice isn’t being entirely drowned out by the music. Check that episode out HERE!
What should I look forward to this week?
- More goodies from the Four Hour Work Week. I’m gonna keep up with the exercises and hopefully finish the full book before this weekend.
- More Android Developer lectures. Gotta buff up my Android skills in time to be helpful to my friend working on his Android app in Edmonton.
- Innovating random industries with post it notes and Venn diagrams. I heard that the key to innovation lies in between where two industries or fields intersect. I plan to find a bunch of these and come up with plans to add value to these areas.
- Have an awesome snowboarding Christmas party with the founders of the company I’m currently working for. It’ll be a lot of fun. First snowboarding trip of the season for me.
Seeya next week!