Welcome to another thingy of Sum It Up Sundays. Got a fair amount of stuff to talk about today, as it’s been an interesting week on a few different fronts.
- Listened to a few podcast episodes from Start Up Podcast, Addicted2Success, TwiStartups, and Coders’ Startup. Felt slightly enlightened after hearing what some of these guys had to say with regard to tailoring your lifestyle, making real connections with other people, and coming to the realisation that I’m in a special niche group of people whom have heard episode 10 of the Start Up Podcast before ever hearing about some super famous podcast called Serial. The host of the Start Up Podcast explicitly mentioned in this episode that if the listener was listening to that episode of Start Up without ever hearing about that Serial Podcast, to tweet at him since that’s super weird I guess. So I’m gonna tweet at him and say what’s up. Should be fun.
- I started building my mailing list this week to keep people I care about up to date on when I release content across any platform. So far it’s just me and my girlfriend on the mailing list, but if you wanna be on there as well, check it out HERE!
- I’ve pretty much finished the a web development course I’ve been taking over the past four weeks on Coursera. Just one last assignment to do and then I’ll probably never touch web development again in the foreseeable future. Maybe. Who knows. Reason I have this view on the subject is because I initially took this because I believed it would add some value to a project I’m about to start working on with some friends related to the restaurant industry, but it turns out that after meeting with them this weekend, my skills would be more valued on some front end Android development. So I’ll be starting that this week instead. Nice thing about taking this subject on instead leads me into my next point!
- The iPhone app is basically two features away from being finished!!! That means that it’s just about time to start working on the Android version. The CEO wants the app to ready for SXSW in March so that we can hold a launch event and have the app available on both platforms. Hopefully we can crank out a pretty little Android version in time! I feel like this will go faster with me taking on Android learning and development in two separate projects, theoretically increasing my proficiency two-fold! Maybe. We’ll see. Again.
- I uploaded a new mix! You can give it a listen on MixCloud here. Funny thing about the mix is that it got cut short because my grandma called 15 minute in. I mentioned that on the description of the mix and posted it on my Facebook. THEN, my grandma proceeded to comment on my post and say sorry about interrupting it. I felt bad and told her that I would pause my music any time to talk with her. We laughed, we cried, we recovered, we good. I dunno if she went through that same series of actions, maybe that was just me.
Not bad right? What do we got going on for this week…
- Record a new podcast episode, using my recorded interview with my friend from a couple of weeks ago.
- Start the Android developer course that I enrolled in a couple months ago.
- Exercise every day since I was feeling sluggish from the lack of exercise last week.
- Keep meditating every morning or after work.
- Be super productive both at work and at home.
- Love life.
Seeya next time!
Today is totally a Monday, but Sum it up Mondays doesn’t have the same ring to it. I’m a day late because I had a long weekend and was doing a lot of stuff which you are about to read about in the below section below this section below.
- Did TONS of fun stuff with the girlfriend over the weekend since it was her birthday. Boardgames cafe, fancy restaurant, clubbing, family dinner, saw Kevin Hart. It was all awesome. I’m really glad I was able to be a part of what she deemed her best birthday weekend ever.
- Got to visit with my mom and grandma over some lunch. They brought me a bunch of different kinds of salsa and snacks to help me out with cutting grocery costs while I’m out in the concrete jungle living on my own. It was really nice. I can feel the love and support no matter where in the world I happen to be.
- Recorded one and half podcast episodes. A long-ish one with my friend in Calgary whom I’m planning to make some apps with, and a shorter one that I feel will be more true to the format of the show that I wanna maintain for all subsequent episodes with my friend back in Edmonton. The finished and uploaded episode can be listened to here. The other one hasn’t been edited yet, but will be up once I milk some plays outta the one from this week.
- I’m almost finished my front end web UI course! By the end of this week it should be all wrapped up, then I can get more involved with Android and some backend web stuff with my other friend who’s been working in that area for way longer than I have. It’ll definitely be a fun and productive learning experience working with him.
- I meditated each weekday last week in the mornings using the Headspace app and it went pretty well I think. Been able to manage my own stress a little better and keep a calm attitude for the most part. I’ll be continuing with their 10 day intro program this week.
- I haven’t formatted or discovered too much music this week which I don’t feel too proud about, but I was listening to the BPM satellite radio station in my dad’s truck for a bit and heard some new stuff I liked. Shamefully, I can’t even remember the track names or artists and didn’t have the chance to write them down since I was driving by myself.
Feels like a lot happened this past week, and even more will be happening in the weeks to come. Excite. Here’s what I’m looking at for this upcoming week:
- Finish the web UI online course.
- Meet up with my friends in Edmonton whom are working on a project of their own so I can see how they work and what they’ll want me to do help out with.
- EAT. I’ve been told by my friends and family this week that I’m losing weight and I’m starting to look too skinny. Feels like I’ve been eating a lot but I guess it’s still not enough.
- Keep learning and earning!
Thanks for reading! Seeya next time.
So happy to see you again for another instalment of Sum It Up Sundays! These posts are all about looking at the highlights of the past week and reflecting on the goods, bads, and setting some goals for the next week. Here goes.
- Met up with an old friend over some shisha and caught up on what he’s been doing since I saw him last year. We had a very motivating and inspiring talk which ended up leading us to make a plan to get together each week and brainstorm ideas for our own productivity and success. The first weekly brainstorm meeting will be this upcoming week!
- Chatted with my mom and my sister on the phone one evening about work, school, life in general. It was pretty nice. I can feel their support all the time, despite not getting to see them too often as a result of living in different cities.
- Got to have a ~30 minute phone call with my girlfriend every day at lunch this week which felt really great. We don’t get to see each other for the majority of the week so this helped us feel more present and close, making the weekend start off on an ever higher note than before. even though she totally kicked my ass in every video we played together at a bar last night.
- Made it through another module of my Coursera Web UI course. I’m starting to get more comfortable with HTML and CSS now. Also starting to get the feeling that my time may be more efficiently allocated in iOS and Android development instead. Seems like there are more effective tools online for making website creation simple and speedy like Square Space and the upcoming PageCloud, but not so much for making phone apps. I figure that I’ll just finish up this four-week course, then focus more heavily on apps.
- Got through the Rich Dad Poor Dad audiobook. By the end, my views on a lot of aspects of personal finance and investing changed a lot. Not that I knew much about the subjects before listening, other than what you might passively hear from your parents or the news. I feel like I should discuss this in depth over a podcast episode. Something to bring up in my weekly brainstorm meeting, which conveniently leads us into the next point!
- Weekly brainstorm meetings. This hasn’t happened yet, but it is definitely something my old friend and I have every intention of starting up this week. We plan to map out a bunch of ideas and either simulate or build them to see how they could help us with personal development and wealth creation. I’m very excited to start this since the interests and motivations of him and myself align on many levels, so I feel like it will be very productive and fun.
- At work this week, I managed to integrate Twitter and Facebook account linking into our app. As things currently stand, there’s no real benefit for linking the accounts, but in the next couple weeks, we’ll be adding a lot of goodies for linking your accounts with us.
- Yellow Claw & Flux Pavilion – Catch Me feat. Naaz. I just heard this track like five minutes before writing this blog post and felt I had to include it. I can totally see all the white lights flashing and confetti cannons firing as soon as this drop hits you. Should I see a doctor about that?
- Vanic X K.Flay – Make Me Fade. The song starts out pretty chill and airy, then builds up fast and hard, dropping into a huuuge Arabian Nights-vibe. Something about it makes me wanna hear it over and over. Sounds like an adventure.
- ON AN ON – Drifting (RAC Mix). This song I first listened to within the app I’ve been working on at work. I like the mellow synth sounds. It goes well with the clean vocals and overall vibe of the song.
Cool! Decent week I think. What’s in store for this week?
- Try to meditate every morning with this app I just downloaded.
- Try out these foam roller exercises I randomly found.
- Have a super awesome and productive brainstorm session with my friend.
- Get through some more online coursework, specifically with the Web UI course, since that’s the only one out of the three I’m enrolled in that has real deadlines as a result of the peer-review aspect of the course.
- Treat my girlfriend to an amazing birthday weekend, full of great food and great fun.
- Learn as much as possible all the time!
Thanks for hanging out with me again in this week’s Sum It Up Sundays! See you again soon.
Welcome back to Sum It Up Sundays, where I go through some highlights of the past week and set a few goals for the upcoming week. What happened last week?
- Had a talk with my girlfriend about our future together. We laid out some milestones and both feel more comfortable with where we’re at and where we’re going now. I’d definitely recommend talking to your special someone about that if you wanna keep them around for a while.
- Went dancing with my girlfriend and a few of her friends. I thought I wouldn’t really enjoy it since I haven’t been to a club in quite some time and had no desire to go back to one any time soon, but seeing her have a good time busting out all her best dance moves made me feel happy.
- Designed a concept logo for a company my friend is building. It was kinda ugly-looking, but it could be shaped into something pretty attractive after a few iterations.
- Picked up a new online course from Coursera called Front-End Web UI and Frameworks as part of a Full-Stack developer program they’re offering. It’s pretty interesting and helpful for someone such as myself whom has had no web development experience.
- Added some big features to the iOS app I’m working on at my job. The founders really liked my work with week said it picked up everyone’s moods since they were having a rough week in other areas of the business. Felt good man.
So what’s the plan for this week? Let’s see…
- Keep on keepin’ on with my three online courses.
- Work out at least three times before the weekend.
- Do some Photoshop work on the logo I started and on a birthday card for my girlfriend.
- Read into some design practises and philosophies in hopes of improving my eye for color and style in graphic design and UX.
That’s all for now! Seeya next time.
Today, I thought that I should write this post that I had originally set for myself to write last week. WTF Mr. BdonBits!? Sorry self, but better late than never, right? The objective of writing this is to list a few skills I have or am currently working on and explore some ideas to utilise these skills in such a way that will produce some cool stuff for random internet peepz and the rest of the world. What am I going on about? Let’s just dive in and we’ll see…
Skill A – SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
- Making iOS/Android apps
- Making websites and tools
Resource A1 – Tools
Resource A2 – Learning
- Online courses
- Current job
Content Ideas A
- Make iOS/Android apps for people
- Make websites or web tools for people
- Create a code blog for my solutions to encountered problems
Skill B – GRAPHIC DESIGN
- Designing logos, cards, posters
- Photo editing
Resource B1 – Tools
Resource B2 – Learning
- Online tutorials
- Design blogs
- Design communites
Content Ideas B
- Offer free design services to friends/family/coworkers in order to build a portfolio
- Put portfolio on imgur or create a website for the portfolio
- Get involved in graphic design communities in order to get an idea of how to market
- Advertise services on sites like Kijiji, Craigslist, Etsy, Pinterest, etc.
Skill C – DJ
- Mixing music
- Making mashups
- MCing events
Resource C1 – Tools
- Record pool subscription
Content Ideas C
- Post mixes and post on YouTube, Mixcloud, Soundcloud
- Create a YouTube channel to talk about mixing technique, philosophy, and new music
- Advertise event DJ/MC services on classifieds websites
So, yeah. Those are the major things for now I guess. It’d be insane to make all of the ideas happen, but pretty interesting if I could start and maintain just a few. Plus getting paid to do any of these would be just so awesome. If you have any guidance on ramping up these skills or making them marketable, let me know!
Seeya next time,
I think I may have been onto something last Sunday with that post summarising the past week and setting goals for the upcoming week, so let’s just go ahead and make that a thing, man. Totally. So here’s what went down over the past week…
- Cooked penne pasta with chicken, spinach, peppers, mushroom, and salsa. I made up the recipe and it was pretty tasty.
- Cooked a slightly different version of this pasta for my girlfriend and her parents, but it didn’t taste as good. That pressure of cooking for other people. Intense.It’s ok, though. It was balanced out by the awesome homemade BBQ pork belly we had with it.
- Got to see a few friends I haven’t hung out with in a while over coffee and lunch. It was pretty nice seeing them again. Glad they’re all doing fine.
- Played Starcraft 2 with a friend against other people online. We totally lost since my actions-per-minute was like 16. I’ll raise that up in time I guess.
- Followed a video tutorial on Udemy and made a basic iOS app that pulled weather data from a website and showed the current forecast for any valid city that the user entered. Felt pretty legit.
- Added some big features to the app I’ve been working on at my job after struggling with it for a couple of days. Big sense of accomplishment.
- Worked out. Once. It was tough, though. One-legged squats are hard.
- Released my first podcast episode. I’m still looking for feedback on this, so I’ll probably repost it sometime this week and see what happens. I had fun recording it, so I really wanna do it again sometime.
- DJ’d my cousin’s junior high school Halloween dance. Those kids went crazy for Hotline Bling. Even the teachers. Madness.
- Sang karaoke with my girlfriend and a couple new people. I think we all enjoyed ourselves. I’m motivated to become a better rapper now.
It’s looking like I don’t have a lot happening music-wise. Definitely gotta fix that. Anyway, here’s what I’m thinking for this week…
- Do some more workouts.
- Write a blog post to brainstorm ideas for things to add value to my podcast.
That’s all I can think of at the moment since I’m getting pretty drowsy. Maybe I should have started writing this earlier. Whatever. It’s my body, I do what I want.
’til next time,